The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them.The time has come for us to civilize ourselfs by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.
At 6:01 p.m. on April 4, 1968, a shot rang out. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who had been standing on the balcony of his room at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN, now lay sprawled on the balcony's floor. A gaping wound covered a large portion of his jaw and neck. A great man who had spent thirteen years of his life dedicating himself to nonviolent protest had been felled by a sniper's bullet. Black Americans needed a Martin Luther King, but above all America needed him. The significant qualities of this special man cannot be underestimated nor taken for granted. Within a span of 13 years from 1955 to his death in 1968 he was able to expound, expose, and extricate America from many wrongs. His tactics of protest involved non-violent passive resistance to racial injustice. It was the right prescription for our country, and it was right on time. Hope in America was waning on the part of many Black Americans, but Martin Luther King, Jr. provided a candle along with a light. He also provided this nation with a road map so that all people could locate and share together in the abundance of this great democracy.
We honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. because he showed us the way to mend those broken fences and to move on in building this land rather than destroying it. He led campaign after campaign in the streets of America and on to the governor's mansion - even to the White House - in an effort to secure change. Today Black Americans have federal legislation which provides access and legal protection in the areas of public accommodations, housing, voting rights, schools, and transportation. These rights were not easily won, nor readily accepted, but the good will and conscience of an enormous spectrum of our society both Black and White said "Move On."
Thank you Dr. King for being the drum major who was able and ready to lead our nation to greater heights through love and peace.
Professor Melvin Sylvester, June 1998
GA GA NEWS
Teen sailor Jessica Watson has rounded the south east cape of Tasmania and is homeward bound after a three-week battering from heinous storm conditions.AUSTRALIAN teen-sensation solo sailor Jessica Watson will return home a celebrity but she revealed she just wants to enjoy the party when she sails into Sydney Harbour next Saturday.
Watson, 16, said she was excited by the prospect of finally stepping on to solid land for the first time in seven months - and into the arms of family and friends, the Sunday Herald Sun reported.
One friend who has proved invaluable during her epic journey is Mike Perham, the 18-year-old sailor who holds the record for the youngest person to sail around the globe assisted.
From his home in Hertfordshire, north of London, Perham has been in weekly contact by phone with Watson as she sailed the seas. He said: "I'm just one of her friends and we chat.
"When you're out there sailing across the ocean, you don't want to get the same questions: how's the weather and what did you have for dinner?
HAS SHE GONE FAR ENOUGH
Jessica Watson has not travelled far enough to claim the record for being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world, according to Sail World magazine.
When the 16-year-old schoolgirl arrives into Sydney Harbour this month, she will not have fulfilled the World Speed Sailing Record Council’s criteria to snatch the record from Jesse Martin, the magazine claims.
‘‘She has simply not gone far enough north of the equator,’’ the magazine said.
GA GA HOUSES
The Winchester Mystery House
- In 1881, Sarah Winchester, the widow of famous gun maker Oliver Winchester, became convinced that she needed protection from the evil spirits of all the people killed by Winchester rifles. A psychic advised her to continually add rooms to her San Jose, California, mansion to confuse any ghosts that may try to find her. (It's not clear why ghosts, which can supposedly move through walls, would be confused by the rooms, but it apparently made sense to Winchester.) She did so for nearly forty years, adding more than 100 rooms and staircases, until her death in 1922. After Sarah's death, her own ghost was said to haunt the halls of her mazelike mansion. Today the building remains a popular tourist attraction, a bizarre monument to superstition and paranoia
The Amityville Horror
- On Nov. 13, 1974, six members of an Amityville, New York, family were killed by one of the family's sons, Ronald Jr. ("Butch") DeFeo. In his legal defense, DeFeo claimed that demonic forces in the home drove him to kill. The new owner of the home at 112 Ocean Avenue later claimed a variety of ghostly phenomena, and the story was further fictionalized into a best-selling novel and horror film. Yet the supernatural events were never proven, and DeFeo's lawyer later admitted that the story was a hoax.
GA GA WORDSVENUS
A Goddess on the mountain top
Was burning like a silver flame
The summit of beauty and love
And Venus was her name
- One of the nicknames of Venus is "the Morning Star". It's also known as the Evening Star. Of course, Venus isn't a starat all, but a planet. So why does Venus have these nicknames?
- The orbit of Venus is inside the orbit of Earth. Unlike the outer planets, Venus is always relatively close to the Sun in the sky. When Venus is on one side of the Sun, it's trailing the Sun in the sky and brightens into view shortly after the Sun sets, when the sky is dark enough for it to be visible. When Venus is at its brightest, it becomes visible just minutes after the Sun goes down. This is when Venus is seen as the Evening Star.
- When Venus is on the other side of the Sun, it leads the Sun as it travels across the sky. Venus will rise in the morning a few hours before the Sun. Then as the Sun rises, the sky brightens and Venus fades away in the daytime sky. This is Venus the Morning Star.
GODDESS OF LOVE
- Venus is the daughter of Jupiter, and some of her lovers include MarsVulcan, modeled on the affairs of Aphrodite. Venus' importance rose, and that of her cult, through the influence of several Roman political leaders. The dictator Sulla made her his patroness, and both Julius Caesar and the emperor Augustus named her the ancestor of their (Julian) family: the 'gens Julia' was Aeanus, son of Venus and the mortal Anchises. Ceasar introduced the cult of Venus Genetrix, the goddess of motherhood and marriage, and built a temple for her in 46 BCE. She was also honored in the temple of Mars Ultor. The last great temple of Venus was built by the emperor Hadrianus near the Colusseum in 135 CE.