Sunday, October 17, 2010

Flower Power

      The term flower power was used in a poem by Allen Ginsberg in 1965 a probable source for the term. The hippies were also to be known as the flower children.It has been 43 years since thousands of young people gathered in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district to share what came to be known as the "Summer of Love." It introduced the rest of the country to flower children and free love, protests and drugs. San Francisco during the Summer of Love were filled with the sounds of bells, the fragrance of incense, lots of beads, fringe vests, paisley and, of course, music.
“I have seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,”

 Allen Ginsberg The Howl




   The world was spinning out of control and everyone was angry about something. Vietnam war,black rights,womans rights,free love and assassinations. More changes probably took place in American society during the 1960's than in any other decade of the 20th century. Of all the events of those years, perhaps none more  important than Woodstock Music and Arts Festival, held in Bethel, NY, in mid August of 1969.

Woodstock 

Age of Aquarious 
 




Wish I Was A Punk Rocker 



More Flower Power


 
Ah! Sunflower William Blake
 
Ah! sunflower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun,
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller’s journey is done;

Where the youth pined away with desire,
And the pale virgin shrouded in snow,
Arise from their graves and aspire;
Where my sunflower wishes to go. 



Song of The Flower

Kahlil Gibran 

I am a kind word uttered and repeated
By the voice of Nature;
I am a star fallen from the
Blue tent upon the green carpet.
I am the daughter of the elements
With whom Winter conceived;
To whom Spring gave birth; I was
Reared in the lap of Summer and I 
Slept in the bed of Autumn.
At dawn I unite with the breeze
To announce the coming of light;
At eventide I join the birds
In bidding the light farewell. 
The plains are decorated with
My beautiful colors, and the air
Is scented with my fragrance.
As I embrace Slumber the eyes of
Night watch over me, and as I
Awaken I stare at the sun, which is
The only eye of the day.
I drink dew for wine, and hearken to
The voices of the birds, and dance
To the rhythmic swaying of the grass.
I am the lover's gift; I am the wedding wreath;
I am the memory of a moment of happiness;
I am the last gift of the living to the dead;
I am a part of joy and a part of sorrow.
But I look up high to see only the light,
And never look down to see my shadow.
This is wisdom which man must learn.






No comments:

Post a Comment